First Street Yoga Community News and Blog

classes cancelled thursday 11/13

I’m sorry but we’re cancelling the 3:30 L1 and 5:30 Intro classes for tonight. Robert has to come out from Oregon City and they are still predicting freezing rain for later in the day. I’m very sorry for the interruptions, but we’ll figure some way to make it up. All other classes will proceed on schedule unless we have some big surprise.

beginning meditation Tuesdays 7:15-8:15pm

Come as you are! With or without yoga experience; with family or friends or alone. You can even eat dinner first. Join Tina Landfried for an hour of mediation instruction and exploration, then take your new skills home and begin a mind and life-changing practice.

Meditation has been proven to bring clarity to the mind and decrease stress. But how to begin? In these informal, hour-long sessions, we will have time for exploring guided and silent meditations. We will talk briefly about the results of practice and discuss problems and opportunities. Afterwards, Tina will be available to answer any questions.

Tina Landfried took her first meditation class in McMinnville three years ago and has been studying ever since, including month-long retreats. She looks forward to sharing this simple and transformative practice. Join her for the series or for individual sessions. There is no charge or registration. Just show up.

lighthearted

I am so glad to be teaching yoga again! It’s been a long time, and returning, I realize just how much I love to practice with you all and how much I have missed our time together. So, thank you to all you students – the dedicated long-term students and the new and excited. You make me lighthearted.

We still have space in all our classes (although Tues. 3:30 is nearly closed). Our new classes are particularly small: Wed. 7am, the senior class on Wed. 11am, and Thurs. 3:30. I’m planning to continue with all classes, even small ones, during this short fall session. We will use this time to finish and refine our space and build our student population. That’s where I’d appreciate your help — in building attendance. If you have enjoyed the classes, please spread the word. And remember, if you are registered for a weekly class, you are welcome to drop in to any additional class for 12/class.

hello from Claudia

I am looking forward to teaching Monday evenings beginning November 3 in our beautiful new space!  It will be an Iyengar studio we all dream about – with rope walls, a perfect floor, all the props one could want, walls and windows, color and light.  It is very exciting.  I have missed teaching during this, my first year in Portland, and am grateful for the invitation to serve all of you by sharing the art and the science of Yoga.

After meeting you at the first class, I will as much as possible tailor our Level 1 classes to meet your needs, where you can be in your bodies as they are at this moment in time.  My hope is that we will all grow in an atmosphere of compassion, humor and self study.  Together we will explore this temple, our body, through which we will find our way to our soul.

Claudia

Join Claudia this fall, Monday evenings 5:30 to 7pm!

which teacher?

Do you know we have some of the best trained teachers around? We’ve all had extensive schooling, but no class can substitute for long-term, regular practice and study. All of us– Robert, Claudia, and I — have been practicing yoga for decades.

A long-term individual practice means each teacher has developed a unique understanding. We share a base of knowledge from similar trainings, but from there each teacher brings a different view. Wise students benefit from this diversity.

Finding and keeping good teachers has been the single biggest obstacle to expanding our schedule. This is why I, Jane, am so pleased to have Robert and Claudia. This is why you might want to fill their classes:

Robert: If you think you are too inflexible to study yoga, Robert is here to teach you otherwise. He comes with the strong and sinewy muscles common to many men. I was one of his teachers early on, when he could hardly bend over. Even then, I suspected he would go far in his practice because his ability to quiet down and concentrate was always so apparent. Robert’s long-term meditation practice is obvious in how he works with his own body — quietly, calmly, and with gentle persistence. He brings the same care and skill to his students. Join him Thursday 3:30, Thursdays 5:30 (beginning classes), and Saturday 9 (L1-2).

Claudia: I haven’t known Claudia long; she just moved to the area to be near her grandchildren. What I know so far is she is always off on some new adventure – music, paddling, exploring. Active and energetic, she comes to us with a strong personal practice (great Iyengar teachers) and twelve years of teaching experience in Helena. I’ve had the opportunity to spend some time with her and I know she will be a great fit for our center – mature, experienced, and adventurous. Join Claudia on Mondays at 5:30 (L1).

Currently, we have space in all our classes. As they begin to fill, we can think about offering more times.