First Street Yoga Community News and Blog

black holes, gravity waves, and Ishvara

Ishvara, from a root meaning to permeate. We translate this as God, usually, but Ishvara is not the name of a deity; it is what everything is from, that which permeates all, the fabric of existence. Watching this simulation, I had a new sense of how everything is all connected.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap160212.html

classes cancelled

Patricia Walden, one of the leading Iyengar teachers and a personal favorite of mine, is coming to Portland next week.  It is a great treat for me to step back and be a student, focusing on all I don’t know.  It not only restores me and my fondness for yoga, but makes me a better teacher to my own students.  Both Robert and Anna Belle will be attending the workshop too.

Since we don’t have a lot of teachers at our disposal right now, I will need to cancel a few of my classes in order to attend.  All regular classes are going forward except these three, which will be canceled:

2/24, Wed 7 am Level 1-2
2/25, Thurs 5:30 pm Level 2 (and 5:00 pm philosophy discussion)
2/26, Friday 9:00 am Level 2 (and 10:30 am philosophy discussion)

I am sorry for the inconvenience and I appreciate your flexibility. As always, you may receive a credit or refund for the class or take a make-up whenever you like.

Namaste,

Jane

jane’s winter philosophy talks

I fear philosophy has a bad reputation among us people of action. Its original meaning is simply love of wisdom. I want to take us all back to those roots in the short philosophy talks I offer between classes: Wed. 8:30-9 am, Thur. 5-5:30 pm, and Fri. 10:30-11 am.

My dictionary defines philosophy as “the study of the nature of knowledge, reality, and existence.” What’s not to love? People have been thinking and talking about yoga for thousands of years, refining its tools to enhance their quality of life. Join us as we continue this on-going cultural conversation. How do people use yoga to make the experience of life better?

The talks take place at the edge of the practice room between classes. Students should feel free to listen or not, come and go as their schedules demand. We will keep the atmosphere casual and playful.

Our talks this winter will be based around the book The Inner Tradition of Yoga by Michael Stone. This is a modern, psychological examination of Patanjali’s yoga sutras. We will focus our talks around concepts as they are presented in the book. Students will benefit without the reading. Keen students can go deeper by using the text. We have some copies of the book to sell and lend. This is the outline I will follow (for those of you who like to read ahead!)

Week of

Jan. 4    Introduction to Patanjali’s Sutras

Jan. 11 vidya/avidya: really seeing   chap. 1-2

Jan. 18 marga: the spiritual path     chap. 3-5

Jan. 25 yama: a firm foundation      chap. 6-7

Feb. 1  klesas: being human           chap. 8-10

Feb. 8  kosas: still being human      chap. 11-12

Feb. 15 samskaras & prana             chap. 13-14

Feb. 22 Jane’s gone; student-led review

Feb. 29 meditation                    chap. 15-16

Mar. 7 prana & citta               chap. 17-end

Mar. 14 summary and review

free class cancelled sunday Jan 3 – rescehuled for next sunday

Sorry. I never did get those winter tires put on and here winter is, all over the steep, windy roads around my house. I won’t be able to make it down to teach the free class this afternoon at 3pm. I have to cancel.

We’ll do it next Sunday, January 10, 3-4:30.

The weather is supposed to improve tomorrow, so we anticipate Monday afternoon classes will still begin. If not, I’ll post that here.

Enjoy the snow!

class cancellations and prop accumulations

Monday, Nov. 30, the 5:30 and 7:15 classes are cancelled. Anna Belle is out of town and we were unable to find a substitute. The 3:30 Gentle class will be taught by Darcy.

We are going to order a batch of bolsters like the ones we use at the center. If you would like one, email darcy@firststreetyoga.com. You’ll have some choices regarding color; the cost is $60 including shipping.

The fall session ends December 12. I hope to see you before then. If not, enjoy the holidays. We hope you’ll join us in the new year. Classes begin the week of Jan. 3.