First Street Yoga Community News and Blog

first street yoga to close

I feel both sorrow and excitement in announcing my retirement from yoga teaching and the closing of First Street Yoga. Soon. At the end of this year.

I would love to continue. After more than 20 years of teaching yoga, from 2-13 classes a week, I still join you with joy and optimism every time. You challenge me and make me laugh and think and rethink. You have shared the triumphs and tragedies of your lives with me, and I have been immeasurably enriched by our experiences together.

Now I’m called in new directions. Throughout the recent changes in my situation, I’ve tried various ways to minimize responsibilities so that I could continue teaching. Now I see it is not possible. No one gets to have it all, do it all. Life is finite; we have to choose.

I will do everything I can to find another yoga business to move in to our wonderful space. Please spread the word. Working together, I’m hopeful we can find a yoga program that will offer you more classes and opportunities than I’ve ever managed.

After more than 25 years, my commitment to my personal practice only grows.  It informs all aspects of my life, and I give thanks every day for the wonderful luck of encountering the art and science of classical yoga. Whatever happens, I hope you maintain your practice.

You know it; I love you all, and I will miss you terribly.

Jane

PS I’ll give refunds for unusable classes.

Rejuvenate your mind and body in two weeks.

Ayurvedic cleanse with Julia Jakubowski

October 8 – 21

price: 200

$150-$250 (sliding scale – please pay as much as you can afford)

Create new habits for ease, vitality and balance.

The course:

• Two week, guided group cleanse.
  • Focus on Ayurvedic Education & Cleansing.
  • Ayurvedic cooking basics – you will eat real food.
  • How to build proper digestive fire.
  • Ayurvedic detoxification practices.
  • Gentle, yet highly effective.
  • Focus on Nourishment, not Restriction.
  • Support of long-term positive change .
  • You can work and play during this cleanse – you will increase your energy, rather than deplete it.

The cleanse will include:

• Two, small group classes, in person with Julia. Focus on basic principles of Ayurveda and Cleansing.
  •  30 minute, individual consult with Julia to support you in creating a cleanse experience to meet your needs.

Classes will take place at First Street Yoga Center in Newberg:

• Saturday, October 8, 12pm-2pm
    • Saturday, April October 15, 12pm-2pm

Membership in a private Facebook group to share and learn with community.

• A step-by-step system to easily navigate the cleanse.
  • Recipes and tip sheets.
  • Guided relaxations and meditations.
  • Simple breathing techniques.

To reserve a spot, send a $25 deposit or the full amount to First Street Yoga, PO Box 832, Newberg, OR 97132.

Alternately, you may register at the first meeting on Oct. 8, space allowing.

If you have questions regarding the course content, contact Julia:

Jakubowski.julia@gmail.com

970 433 1925

Julia Jakubowski, MSW, has been teaching yoga for over ten years. Julia’s teaching style blends vinyasa-based asanas with the eight limbs of Raja yoga, the philosophy of (Samkhya and) Tantra, and the health principles of Ayurveda. Her classes have the ultimate goal of guiding students to develop their best selves and tap into the internal source of creativity, compassion and strength. She appreciates the guidance form her primary teacher Yogarupa Rod Stryker and his Sri Vidya Samayacara tradition. Julia is also clinical social worker specializing in grief, loss, death and dying.

new on-going enrollment begins week of September 19 (free classes 9/13-17)

Changes: Fall classes are just around the corner and we are changing the way we manage registration. Instead of our traditional sessions, we will offer on-going enrollment. Students can buy class packages to use as is convenient for them.

It is the mission of First Street Yoga to offer high-quality, classical yoga instruction to everyone who is sincerely interested regardless of ability to pay. That makes this a marginally sustainable business, and we have to make greater efforts to keep costs down. While we will no longer offer the sliding scale, we have lots of work-study options and some scholarships so no one needs to miss class for lack of funds. Don’t hesitate to contact Jane regarding payment options.

With this change, we hope to establish a regular and predictable schedule of classes that you can fit in to your life. The on-going registration will give more flexibility to students with travel and agricultural responsibilities; we hope to broaden our student base.

What won’t change: I will never compromise the quality of instruction for market considerations. FSY will only hire fully qualified teachers and we will continue to offer curriculum that helps each student move ever more deeply into all aspects of Patanjali’s ashtanga (8 limbed) yoga. Just as it is now, students will identify a home class, but will be free to attend any other class when it is more convenient.

If the on-going integration of brand-new beginners is awkward for continuing students, we will offer regular, short-term introductory series. In the meantime, practicing svadyaya, or self-study, FSY will observe the effects of these new changes and adjust as necessary to support out mission.

Please let us know how it works and doesn’t work for you. Together, we can create a sustainable, challenging, and supportive yoga community. That effort is my great pleasure; I hope you will join me.

Namaste,

Jane

non-violence is the start of yoga

Lately, we’ve had many opportunities to see where violence leads – death, mutilated families and relationships, and a breakdown of trust between groups. We stand up for our side: Black lives matter! Blue lives matter! But on some level we all understand that if any lives matter, all lives matter.

We know where violence leads, but do we understand where it begins? Is it when someone uses a weapon? Or aims a weapon? Or buys a weapon? Or is it earlier still, when we identify good guys and bad guys? Or even earlier, when we feel alone, vulnerable, and in need of protection?

I don’t know the answers, but yoga lists harmlessness (ahimsa) as the first idea to hold in mind if we want to live happily in the world. Here are some things I’ve learned in twenty-five years of practice.

• If we tend toward violence in our character, we will be violent to ourselves first of all. Notice how you treat yourself, with harsh expectation and judgement? Or with mercy and understanding?
  • We get good at what we practice. If you let your emotions run wild, they will learn to be unbridled and may carry you willy-nilly. If you ask for restraint, you will train your emotions to serve your values. When you are practicing asana, can you feel everything, but only act from deliberate choice?
  • The world reflects back what we project. Patanjali’s Sutras tell us that force creates resistance. When we push, others will push back. When we accuse, others will accuse us. When we punish, we will be punished. Try practicing a challenging asana with effort and care and see how that feels. Then try practicing the same pose quite gently and with low expectations. What are the differences in your experience? Are there differences in your ability to do the difficult pose?

A thoughtful yoga practice shows us we all tend toward violence sometimes – it’s a part of human nature. Violence is not the problem of those other people; it’s all of us.  In a violent world we can all look to our own corner. How do we talk and how do we listen? To ourselves? To those we love? To those we disagree with?  All of us yogis, at least we can practice and observe the results. Start. Start again. Maybe it will be contagious.

bone health asana sequence

I wasn’t successful scanning my stick figures so you will have to research the poses if you are unfamiliar — but the stick figures weren’t that helpful anyway. Please buy a book. I can recommend several. Here is the sequence of 12 poses:

1. vrksasana (tree pose)
  2. trikonasana (triangle)
  3. virabhadrasana 2 (warrior 2)
  4. parsvakonasana (side angle)
  5. pavritta trikonasana (revolved triangle)
  6. salabhasana (locust)
  7. setu bandha variation or chatush padasana (bridge pose variation)
  8. supta padangusthasana 1 (reclining hand-toe pose, first position)
  9. supta padangusthasana 2 (reclining hand-toe pose, second position)
  10. marichyasana 3 (straight leg twist)
  11. ardha matsyendrasana (bent leg twist)
  12. savasana (corpse pose)